What is radicalisation?
It is when a person starts to support terrorism or forms of extremism that leads to terrorism.
- They are usually 13 years old or upwards but not always.
- They may have a personality or identity crisis.
- They may have unmet aspirations or have a personal crisis.
- They may have a need for adventure or excitement.
- They may feel that their culture or religion is under threat.
- Individuals may feel socially isolated or suffering depression.
- They may demonstrate criminal behaviour.
- They may be groomed by others who promise them excitement, glory or freedom.
What are the signs?
- Overly sensitive about online viewing.
- Feeling isolated or expressions of “us and them” mentality.
- Becoming more argumentative or domineering in their viewpoint – quick to condemn those who disagree with their opinions.
- Downloading extremism content.
- Social isolation – especially if they had been social previously.
- Abnormal routines or travel patterns.
- Altered appearance.